Wednesday, May 11, 2005

myspace not just for hooking up anymore.....

I just got an interesting message on myspace. It was a guy in his early 20's who has recently decided that he suffers from Aspergers which is a high functioning form of Autism. Aspergers wasn't definitively labeled until the 70's so there isn't much information out there. He contacted me because a search of myspace yielded him 2 people who work with Autism/developmental delays. Me & and a girl in philly named Becca who I actually keep in contact with to discuss ideas for kids we work with. He has asked me to help him get a better idea of Aspergers and to help him figure out the next step in the process of getting an actual clinical diagnosis.

I really wasn't sure what to tell him. Professionally I can only direct him to groups that will help him or websites. It just feels strange as I have never worked with or actually met someone who was that high functioning or who had diagnosed themselves. Honestly I thought he might be joking but as I check out his page & blog he is really serious. I can't imagine being in his shoes and deciding that I was so disconnected socially and so void of empathy & understanding that I would search out a reason for it. I mean those are actual words he used.

What he describes does sound like Aspergers. It's just so odd to me.

He lives in Canada so why hasn't he seen a doctor? Why is he searching for help on myspace. Those seem like logical questions but if he really has aspergers looking on myspace might seem logical to him.

I suppose I am going to do some googling and see if I can come up with any information for him. We'll see what happens.....

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?